Monday, January 14, 2013

God is wrong and the Cult of Man

The only thing worse than bad theology, is bad conclusions drawn from bad theology. Simply because rarely do those who spout bad conclusions consider the underlying theology.
"God Bless Everyone, No Exceptions" is a bumper sticker making it's way around the neighborhood.  I am not sure what the driver's are trying to say.  Certainly they are not trying to say the following:
First, man can tell God what to do.  What kind of God acquiesces to the whims of man?  "God it would be a blessing to me by giving a million dollars."  Enough said.
Second, God has not already blessed everyone.  Apparently there are some people that God has not blessed yet that need to be blessed.  "God, I know what so and so needs, and they don't have it.
Third, man knows what blessings are.  "God, I know what a blessing looks like, and what I got, or what someone else has.....well it aint it."
Maybe what they are trying to say is, well, I really don't know what they are trying to say.
The problem is not with God, it is with man.  Finite man, limited in intellect, space and time shaking his fist at an infinitely wise, all powerful God, and telling Him, "you are wrong".
The cult of man has long been with mankind.  There is nothing new about it.  "I am man" is a correct theological affirmation;  "I am man and therefore I know......" is a sad conclusion.  I know that if I flip the switch on the wall lights will turn on.  "I am man, look at what I have done".  Really?  Isn't it more like, "I am man, look we discovered what was already there"?
Like all cults, the Cult of Man is seductive and sensual.  It will make you feel really good just like sugar.  It is really yummy, until you realize the end game:  death.
God has blessed everybody, man just chooses not to accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment